For about the last decade, on the day before the Super Bowl, I’ve written a column about proposition – “prop” – bets related to the game.
Those wagers – and I don’t come close to using them all – come from Bovada, a Las Vegas sports book, which are forwarded by its publicist, Jimmy Shapiro.
This year he’s done it again, also formulating a 25-bet contest that he says, “I’ve personally used at my Super Bowl party and my guests love it.”
So, if you’re hosting a Super Bowl event or attending one tomorrow and you’re looking for some peripheral entertainment – once I even offered a cash prize – here’s Shapiro’s list of bets for each participant to complete.
- How long will it take Pink to sing the national anthem? Over/under two minutes.
- Will Pink be airborne at any point during the national anthem? Yes/no.
- What will the result of the coin toss be? Heads/tails.
- Who will win the coin toss? Eagles/Patriots.
- Which coach will be mentioned first on TV after kickoff? Doug Pederson/Bill Belichick.
- What will the first offensive play of the game be? Run/pass.
- Which team will commit the first penalty? Eagles/Patriots.
- Will there be a score in the first six minutes and 30 seconds of the game? Yes/no.
- What will be the first scoring play of the game? Touchdown/field goal or safety.
- Which team will score first? Eagles/Patriots.
- Which team will record the first QB sack? Eagles/Patriots.
- What will be the result of the first coach's challenge? Play overturned/call stands.
- What color will Justin Timberlake's shoes be when he begins his halftime show? White/any other color.
- Will Zach Ertz score a TD? Yes/no.
- Will Danny Amendola score a TD? Yes/no.
- Will anyone except Tom Brady or Nick Foles take a snap in the game? Yes/no.
- Will there be a successful two-point conversion? Yes/no.
- Will Tom Brady throw an interception? Yes/no.
- How many passing yards will Nick Foles have? Over/under 235.5.
- Who will record more receiving yards? Alshon Jeffery/Brandin Cooks.
- Who will record more rushing yards? Jay Ajayi/Dion Lewis.
- What will be the longest successful field goal of the game? Over/under 47.5 yards.
- Which team will score last? Eagles/Patriots
- How many times will Gisele Bundchen be shown on TV during the broadcast of the game? Over/under 1.5.
- Which team will win the Super Bowl? Eagles/Patriots.
Shapiro suggests using total points scored in the game as a tiebreaker.
AND, IF YOU’RE thinking you need more questions, here are 20 more?
- What predominant color will Pink's hair be when she sings the national anthem? White/blond, pink/red, blue/purple, brown/black, green.
- Will Pink forget or omit a word from the national anthem? Yes/no.
- Who will be shown first during the national anthem? Tom Brady/Nick Foles.
- Will Pink say “Eagles” before, during or after she sings the national anthem? Yes/no.
- Will Pink wear an Eagles shirt or hat while singing the national anthem? Yes/no.
- Will any scoring drive take less time than it took Pink to sing the national anthem? Yes/no.
- Who will be mentioned first during the actual game broadcast? Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie/Patriots owner Robert Kraft.
- Which of the two will be shown first during the game (halftime doesn’t count)? Lurie/Kraft.
- How many Donald Trump tweets will occur on Super Sunday? Over/under 5.
- Will Trump be mentioned during the broadcast? Yes/no.
- How many times will Brady’s age be mentioned during the broadcast? Over/under 1.5.
- Will play-by-play man Al Michaels mention the game’s point spread? Yes/no.
- How many times will the temperature outside the stadium be mentioned during the broadcast? Over/under 1.
- How many times will “Wardrobe malfunction” be mentioned? Over/under 1.5.
- How many times will Janet Jackson be mentioned? Over/under 1.5
- Will Justin Timberlake be wearing a hat when his halftime show begins? Yes/no.
- How many times will clips from Super Bowl XXIX (the first time the Patriots and Eagles met) be shown? Over/under 1.5.
- Will Donovan McNabb’s vomiting incident from Super Bowl XXXIX be mentioned during the broadcast? Yes/no.
- What color liquid will be poured on the winning coach? Green, yellow, orange, red, blue, purple or clear.
- Who will the Super Bowl MVP mention first in his speech? Teammates, God, city, coach, owner, family.
That’s the list, good luck.
(Chuck Pollock, a Times Herald sports columnist, can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org)