LITTLE VALLEY — A public hearing will be held Wednesday on changes in a local law granting partial real property tax exemptions to certain senior citizens.
The proposed local law sponsored by County Operations and Public Safety Committee Chairman Richard Klancer, R-Gowanda, and committee member Joseph Boberg, R-Delevan, would be the first changes in the law since 2009. Minority Leader Susan Labuhn, D-Salamanca, is a co-sponsor.
The public hearing is scheduled for 4:01 p.m. Wednesday in the County Legislature chambers on the third floor of the Cattaraugus County Center.
The proposal maintains the current 50 percent exemption for households earning less than $18,500 a year, as well as seven other existing exemption rates for income up to $24,200.
The proposed local law adds two additional assessed value exemptions of 15 percent for incomes between $24,200 and $25,100, and 10 percent for incomes between $25,100 and $26,000.
The existing income levels which would remain unchanged are:
- $18,500 or less, 50 percent exemption
- $18,501 but less than $19,500, 45 percent
- $19,500 but less than $20,500, 40 percent
- $20,500 but less than $21,500, 35 percent
- $21,500 but less than $22,400, 30 percent
- $22,400 but less than $23,300, 25 percent
- $23,300 but less than $24,200, 20 percent
If adopted, the local law would be effective Jan. 1, 2017.
Wednesday’s agenda also includes the transfer of a dozen properties on the county property tax auction to the city for demolition or rehabilitations.
The properties are:
331 N. 13th St., 616 W. Henley St., n 226 N. Seventh St., 602-04 W. Greene St., 306 N. 11th St., 1202 W. Sullivan St., 105 S. 13th St., 305 N. Seventh St., 312 N. Wayne St., 1210 Reed St., 313 S. Seventh St., 122 E. Henley St., and 439 Martha Ave.
OTHER BUSINESS on Wednesday includes possibly authorizing the following items:
- A $1 annual payment in lieu of taxes (P.I.L.O.T.) for the Olean Municipal Airport in Ischua. The county currently pays $8,500 a year for a county P.I.L.O.T. The city is negotiating with the Hinsdale Central School District for an amended P.I.L.O.T. The Town of Ischua recently reassessed the airport property which could have tripled the city’s airport tax bills.
- A contract with Cattaraugus Community Action for up to $50,000 for student tuition at the Food For Thought Culinary Arts Employment Training Program. The county would pay tuition of $2,700 for up to 18 students in the 15-week course.
- An application to the Appalachian Regional Commission for $30,000. It contains a Community Development Initiative which includes a two-day workshop to aid municipalities in beautifying their communities. The grant, if approved, would require a $20,000 county match and $10,000 worth of in-kind services.
- Contracts with the Cattaraugus-Little Valley,Salamanca, Allegany-Limestone/BOCES, and Pioneer school districts for deputies serving as school resource officers.
(Contact reporter Rick Miller at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter,