- The Recreation Center municipal pool will be open June 22 and 23, and then from June 26 through Labor Day. The pool will be open each day from noon to 5 p.m. The cost is $1.50 per day for children and seniors; $2.50 for adults; and $8 for a family. Season passes are available for $30 for children or seniors; $50 for adults; and $75 for families.
- Franchot public wading pool will open June 22 and 23; and then from June 26 to Aug. 18. The pool will be open each day from noon to 5 p.m. There is no cost to swim. Flotation devices are not allowed, and swimming diapers are mandatory.
Weekly activitiesActivities will not be held on July 4.
- The main six-week program runs from July 1 to Aug. 9. There is no cost to participate, but registration is required. Pre-registration dates have been set for noon to 3 p.m. June 22 and 29; and 3 to 5:30 p.m. June 24 and 28 at the William O. Smith Recreation Center. Those who register will receive a free T-shirt.
- Arts and crafts will be held from 1 to 3 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, and 10 a.m. to noon Fridays from July 1 through Aug. 8 at the William O Smith Recreation Center. Projects will vary weekly.
- Supervised recreation is scheduled for 10 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday at War Vets Park.
- Afternoon activities at Oak Hill Park will be held from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. Monday through Friday from July 1 to Aug. 1 for youths in grades 3 through 12. Lunch will be provided at 12:30 p.m.
- Roller skating will be held from 1 to 3 p.m. Mondays at the rec center.
- Weekly tennis clinics are scheduled from 1 to 3 p.m. Mondays at the Olean Middle School tennis courts.
- Sandlot baseball and softball is scheduled from 1 to 3 p.m. Mondays at Forness Park fields 5 and 7.
- Kids yoga with instructor Jessie Slattery every Tuesday at 10 a.m. in the rec center.
- Bowling and mini golf from 10 a.m. to noon Tuesdays at Good Times of Olean.
- Playground basketball is scheduled from 1 to 3 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the rec center.
- An introduction to martial arts is scheduled from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Wednesdays for children ages 7 to 14 at the AKT Combatives Academy, 705 N. Union St. Staff from the academy are the instructors.
- Soccer from 1 to 2 p.m. Wednesdays at the rec center and Bradner Stadium. Open recreation will be held from 2 to 3 p.m.
- Volleyball from 1 to 2 p.m. Thursdays at the rec center and War Vets Park. Open recreation will be held from 2 to 3 p.m.
- Floor hockey will be held from 10 a.m. to noon on Thursdays at the rec center.
- Flag football will be held from 10 a.m. to noon Thursdays at Forness Park Field 2.
Special activities and contests
- Youth fishing derby from 10 a.m. to noon June 29 at Forness Pond. Registration begins at 9:30 a.m. Co-sponsored by the state Department of Environmental Conservation, Whitetail Country Outfitters and the Olean Rod and Gun Club.
- Summer cookout and lawn games events will be held from 11 a.m. to noon July 5 and 19, and Aug. 2 at War Vets Park.
- A doll and stuffed animal contest is set for 1 to 3 p.m. July 9 at Lincoln Park. The rain site is the John J. Ash Community Building.
- The Exploring Nature Trail walk will be held from 10 to 11:30 a.m. July 11 on the Allegheny River Trail. Sue Cooper, city forester, will present during the walk. Participants will meet at the parking lot located at 19th and Henley streets.
- An Olean Oilers baseball clinic is scheduled from 10 a.m. to noon July 16 at Bradner Stadium.
- The Summer Rec Idol Talent Contest is scheduled for 1 to 3 p.m. July 16 at the John J. Ash Community Building. Individual and group acts are welcome to participate.
- Creative learning shows from 1 to 3 p.m. July 22 at the rec center. The event will include a silly science show and magic class.
- A Hawaiian luau is scheduled from 1 to 3:30 p.m. July 23 at Boardman Park. The event will include a hula-hoop contest, pineapple relay and Hawaiian-outfit contest. Prizes will be awarded.
- A pet show and contest is scheduled from 1 to 3 p.m. July 30 at Lincoln Park. The rain site is the John J. Ash Community Building.
- Movie night is set for dusk, Aug. 1 at War Vets Park. Sponsored by Reality Check.
- A punt, pass and kick contest is scheduled from 1 to 3 p.m. Aug. 7 at Bradner Stadium.
- The annual Kids Day celebration is scheduled from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Aug. 9 at War Vets Park. The event will feature games, prizes, raffles and refreshments. Proceeds will benefit the Youth Memorial Scholarship Fund.
Additional youth activities
- Olean Area Youth Court is scheduled two Mondays per month. It is a delinquency intervention and prevention program for first-time offenders between 7 and 15, and is overseen by Olean, Allegany-Limestone, Portville and Hinsdale high school students who have passed a training program. For more information, contact Paula Keenan at 376-5645.
- Supervised playground hours will be held from 1 to 3 p.m. Monday through Thursday July 1 to Aug. 8 at Boardman Park and Marcus Park.
- The Summer Arts Program is scheduled from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. Monday through Friday between July 1 and Aug. 1. for grades 3 to 12. Activities include outdoor math and science projects; history and culture projects; performing arts activities; and arts and crafts. A free lunch is provided each day at noon. Oak Hill Park.
Additional summer activities
- Public roller skating will be held from 6 to 9 p.m. Fridays and noon to 5 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays beginning June 21. Admission is $1.50 for children, $2 for adults and rentals are $1. Limited rental skates are available, so skaters are encouraged to bring their own roller skates or inline skates.
- Skating Tips and Tricks with Enchanted Mountain Roller Derby will be hosted from 7 to 9 p.m. July 6 and Aug. 10 at the rec center. Free admission and skate rental.
- Each week at the John J. Ash Community Center on North Barry Street programs, including bingo, square dancing, day trips and educational workshops will be offered to the area’s seniors. For more information, call 376-5670.
- The city will host the 44th annual City Cup Softball Tournament Aug 9-11 at all city softball fields. For more information, call 376-5698.
Concert seriesThe city’s Youth and Recreation Department will hold its annual summer concert series at Lincoln Park. In event of rain, the concert will move to the John J. Ash Community Center.
All concerts are set for Thursdays from 6:30-8:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted. The lineup includes:
- June 20, Fair to Fiddlin
- Saturday, June 22, 2 to 4 p.m., LTM Trio
- June 27, Ray Paladino
- July 4, 5-7 p.m., Generations
- July 11, Toucan Jam
- July 18, Larry Lewicki
- July 25, Kokomo Time Band
- Aug. 1, Not Norman
- Aug. 8, Chord of Three Strands
- Saturday, Aug. 10, 2-4 p.m., Generations
- Aug. 15, Coyote Moon
- Aug. 22, Allegany Alumni & Friends
- Aug. 29, Crusin
- Sept. 5, Red Grey
For more information on all this summer’s recreation offerings, call the city Youth Bureau and Recreation Department at 376-5698.