OLEAN — The Olean Police Department was unable to determine why some city residents heard what they believed to be a loud explosion Thursday night.
Multiple local residents began posting on social media at approximately 8 p.m. about hearing a large explosion. There were claims of hearing the blast in multiple parts of the city.
Police received two reports of what was thought to be “a loud explosion” in the area, according to Olean Police Chief Jeff Rowley in an email response Friday to the Olean Times Herald.
“Officers on patrol responded to that area and could not determine what would have made such a noise,” Rowley stated. “We have no other information at this time.”
According to police reports, one of the residents who called police about the sound said they were around the 800 block of Henley Street and also saw a flash in the direction of West State Street.
• Thursday, 5:21 p.m., no injuries were reported in a two-car accident. A vehicle operated by Dillion R. Ruediger, 23, of 7 Lyman Road, Roulette, Pa., was stopped in traffic on North Union Street near Laurens Street when his vehicle was reportedly struck from behind by a vehicle operated by Michelle M. Schwartz, 48, of 11354 Brown Schoolhouse Road, Freedom. Schwartz was charged with following too closely, an infraction.
• Friday, 4:12 p.m., Alicia M. Lewis, 34, of 8410 Willow Brook Road, Little Genesee, was charged with petit larceny, a class A misdemeanor. She allegedly took makeup, toys and women’s pants valued at $122.17 from Kohl’s department store.
• Thursday, 8:50 p.m., Douglas Reed, 34, of Kill Buck, was charged with attempted scheme to defraud and trespass, a violation, for allegedly going door to door asking for money for a tow. He also violated on his New York state parole. Douglas was processed and held pending arraignment.
• Friday, 12:08 a.m., Aaron Pringle, 28, of Delevan, was charged with driving while intoxicated, an unclassified misdemeanor, and several unnamed traffic violations following a traffic stop. He was processed and released to appear in Salamanca City Court at a later date.
• Friday, 1:22 a.m., Vincent Jones, 52, of Bemus Point, was charged on an active bench warrant out of Salamanca City Court. He posted cash bail and released to appear in Salamanca City Court at a later date.
Cattaraugus County Sheriff’s Office
• LITTLE VALLEY — Robert B. Bolles, 60, of 7186 Peters Road, Springville, was charged at 7:15 p.m. Thursday with fourth-degree stalking, a class B felony, and menacing a police or peace officer, second-degree criminal mischief and first-degree reckless endangerment, all class D felonies. Charges stem from an alleged incident in the vicinity of Main Street in Little Valley. Bolles was arraigned in Little Valley Town Court and remanded to Cattaraugus County Jail in lieu of $10,000 bail.
• RANDOLPH — Duane M. Town, 63, of 108 E. Main St., East Randolph, was charged at 6:51 p.m. Thursday with fourth-degree criminal possession of marijuana, a class A misdemeanor. He was processed, issued an appearance ticket and due back in Randolph Town Court Nov. 22.
New York State Police
• RUSHFORD — A two-vehicle accident was reported at 5:32 p.m. Wednesday on County Road 7E and Lower Street. Samuel D. Hershberger, 19, of Franklinville and Mark J. Cook, 43, of Rushford, were identified as the drivers. No injuries were reported.
• WELLSVILLE — A one-vehicle accident was reported at 8:46 a.m. Thursday on Trapping Brook Road and Vorhees Hill. Jerri L. Schrock, 21, of Wellsville, was identified as the driver. No injuries were reported.
• ALMOND — A one-vehicle accident was reported at 6:21 p.m. Thursday on State Highway 21 and Clark Road. Brandon S. Herr, 35, of Wellsville, was identified as the driver. No injuries were reported.
• ANGELICA — A one-vehicle accident was reported at 6:55 p.m. Thursday on County Road 15 and State Route 19. David L. Austin, 73, of Angelica, was identified as the driver. No injuries were reported.
• BURNS — A one-vehicle accident was reported at 7:12 p.m. Thursday on Arkport Canaseraga and Tilden Hill roads. Derrick J. Totsline, 31, of Fillmore, was identified as the driver. No injuries were reported.
• SCIO — A one-vehicle accident was reported at 7:53 p.m. Thursday on Bolivar and Wolf Springs roads. Ronald R. Staedt Jr., 54, of Allentown, was identified as the driver. No injuries were reported.
• OLEAN — A one-vehicle accident was reported at 11:05 p.m. Thursday on Route 16 N. and Central Avenue. Shaelin Marie Everetts, 20, of Allegany, was identified as the driver. No injuries were reported.
• OLEAN — Cody V. Butler, 35, of Port Allegany, Pa., was charged at 1:22 a.m. Friday with driving while intoxicated, an unclassified misdemeanor, and failure to dim lights; operating an unregistered motor vehicle; speed in zone; and refusal to take breath test, all infractions.