Barn fire

Firefighters put out a barn fire at 725 Indian Creek Road in Rock City on Sunday morning.

ROCK CITY — A barn on Indian Creek Road caught fire Sunday morning due to an electrical short.

At about 10:40 a.m., the Town of Olean Fire Department was called to 725 Indian Creek, near the former Lucia’s Restaurant, said Chief Scott Zink.

The initial report was for a house fire, Zink said, but firefighters found the 20-by-30 barn behind the residence engulfed in flames upon arrival.

Firefighters were on scene until 12:50 p.m. Zink said an electrical cord in the barn shorted due to a battery charger, igniting the blaze.

“It’s still standing, but with the age of the structure, it’s pretty much a total loss,” Zink said, noting the barn was probably built in the 1980s or ‘90s.

Volunteer firefighters from Knapp Creek, Allegany, Westons Mills and Eldred (Pa.) Township also responded. One firefighter suffered a minor hand injury, Zink said. Portville was on stand by.

The house and barn at 725 Indian Creek are owned by Thomas Frederick, Zink said.

Loading...
Loading...